How to prepare sea cucumber and make it ready to cook.
Some food such as abalone, scallops and sea cucumber taste better when it’s dry because it absorbing all the goodness and the flavours are more concentrated. However dried food requires a longer preparation time before it can be ready to cook. The followings are the preparation needed to do before it can be cooked.
- Clean dried sea cucumber with clean filtered water and gently brush it.
- Boil the sea cucumber on clean water for about 3 minutes with a covered cooking ware and then turn off the heat. Leave it soak inside the hot water overnight.
- Change the water and clean the sea cucumber gently and repeat the steps above until sea cucumbers are soft enough for cooking. It may take 4 to 5 times depending on size.
- In between the step above, cut open the sea cucumber stomach, remove any internal organ and debris from the cavity once it’s soft enough to do these cleaning jobs.
- Once sea cucumbers are ready, soak it with clean water and storage at refrigerator or cook it immediately.
Important notice: Make sure the water is free from debris, especially oil and rice before clean and soak the abalone/sea cucumber to prevent contamination. Wash your hand before handling this food.